Much of the power of the Apple Watch comes from third-party apps. You can check for rain, track your bus, or even mediate with software on your wrist. It’s not always obvious how to install those apps, though, and some methods may be more convenient than others. Don’t worry — we’ll offer instructions for all of them.
Get apps directly from the App Store on your Apple Watch
The most straightforward way of getting apps is to download them from the App Store on the Apple Watch itself. You don’t need to transfer them from your iPhone, and you don’t even have to be near your iPhone if you’re connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network. You just need to follow a few simple steps.
- Open the App Store app (the “A” on a blue background) on your Apple Watch.
- You can use the Digital Crown to scroll through featured apps or tap Search to look for a specific app.
- In Search, you can use Dictation (voice) or Scribble (finger drawing) to search, as well as tap popular search items.
- When you find an app you like, you can tap Get to download a free app or the price if it’s a paid app.
- If you use a cellular connection, be careful: data charges might apply if you’re on a limited plan.
Install applications you already use on your iPhone
The apps you want on your Apple Watch are sometimes already present on your iPhone. If that’s the case, it may be easy. As a matter of course, your iPhone automatically installs those applications. If you’d rather choose the apps that stay on your Apple Watch, though, there are a few steps to take.
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone.
- In the My Watch tab, tap General and turn off Automatic App Install.
- Scroll down to Available Apps and tap Install next to the apps you want.
- Any apps on your watch will appear in an Installed on Apple Watch section.
Download Apple Watch apps from the App Store on your iPhone
It can be easier to browse applications on the larger screen of your iPhone. If you’d rather do that, you can follow a few steps.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- In the App Store tab, tap Discover Watch Apps on iPhone. This will direct you to the App Store.
- You can browse categories and tap Search to find apps you like.
- Tap Get to download a free app or the price to buy a paid app.